Monday, August 20, 2007

Maids


A luxury or burden?

Both.

Many of you might think that I should not be complaining since I get the luxury of having a maid while others have to wash their own clothes, scrub the floors yada-yada-yada. But let me tell you the truth, if I had a choice, I would like to wash my own clothes and clean my own floors. Having a maid currently does not really solve most problems

Okay, yes she does help look after the little one in my family. But I just don’t get it. We always try to treat them nice and like a part of the family but never ever once did any of them show an appreciation at all. In the news, there are always articles on how employers abuse their maids and so on so forth. Why hasn’t there been any article featuring maids that takes advantage of their employers.

Maybe because there’s a little one in their hands therefore my mom doesn’t dare to tell them off or whatsoever. But sadly, most of the maids that have worked for me think that they’re here on a holiday. I agree that they’re still human and etc. who said we even treated them inhumanely?

Let’s see the history of my maids and the great things they have done…

- bring boyfriend home while family’s on holiday (checked)
- mom goes to jail to bail MAID’S BF out (checked)
- maid runs out in the middle of the night w/o our acknowledgement (checked)
- maids talking on the phone for hours (checked)
- maid going out even on week-nights for parties (checked)
- maid locks dog in store room and goes partying while family overseas (checked)
- maid uses employer’s items w/o permission (checked)
- maid destroying employer’s clothes (checked)
- maid leaving laundry in basket for months (checked)
- maid sleeping before everyone else in the family (checked)
- maid’s cooking even dog don’t want to eat (checked)
- using the computer to upload and print their pictures w/o permission (checked)

and the list can go on and on and on…

Amazing how we still managed to survive with such “domestic helpers”. You may think that I am just being bossy or fussy or what not. But no one understands our condition. How ironic how maids are supposed to lighten our burdens but in return they add on to our worries and problems.

One advice for all people out there who have maids: never ever get emotionally attached to them. You never know the turmoil they bring you through. I’ve been through it and I learnt the hard way. DAMN HARD I tell you. So, don’t get too close…
Sometimes I wonder if they ever forget their priorities in coming here. It is not easy being a maid I must admit. But if you’re going to let your personal problems affect your job then you better wake up.

Who has ever had a maid sit in a corner and cry the whole damn day because she quarreled with her boyfriend? Gosh, is that even a valid excuse for not doing any housework at all. It infuriates me that even the employers don’t act that way.

Some even think that coming here to work is a vacation. Sigh, it angers me to even talk about it; the numeral amount of clothes that have been destroyed in their hands. The amount of saliva they have put in our food (I’m not too sure about this but that’s what they do in dramas right?), stealing people’s husbands etc. Gosh, how humane of them.

I once read a story in a magazine and thinking about it tickles me. There was this one guy who was a property agent. He slept with almost every maid in his block without his wife’s knowledge at all! I must say his wife is stupid or this guy is just TOO GOOD! The agony his wife has to go through if she were to ever find out. Well, what’s funny about the story was the illustration given by the writer. It showed the guy coming out of his car in the parking lot, and when he looks up to the block before him, every maid sticks their head out and waves at him totally ignorant of anything else. Funny as funny can get!

Maids like everything else in the world have two sides to them. Good and bad. Or rather, maids: like everyone else in the world, they’re either good or bad! Hah! No wonder the saying goes “to get a good maid is your luck, and to get a good employer is their fortune”. They both somehow run along the same lines though.

Makes me wonder… what’s the root of all maid abuse stories? Or cases where maids murder their employers… hmmmm…

Serving you faithfully,
The Girl Next Door.