Sunday, August 19, 2007

Can you keep a secret?



Have you ever told someone your secrets? Or maybe have someone tell theirs to you? Or maybe even had your secret leaked out? Whatever it may be, what are secrets…really?

Before you assume or whatsoever, no I’m not inspired to write this entry because of the new Jay Chou movie “secret” which everyone have been raving about. I’ve yet to watch it.

A secret; something kept private or not revealed.

A friend once told me “Secrets brings friends together yet pulls them apart” and it really got me thinking. However oxymoronic it may sound, if you take time to think about it, it’s actually rather true. A secret shared between you and someone else may strengthen the bond because both of you know something about the other which no one else have any clue of. However, if your “secret holder aka as friend or whoever” turn their backs against you one day, are your secrets then risked being exposed?

I think the best person to tell a secret is you. Sounds damn dumb but I believe if it remains within you, you’re only left with yourself to betray. Tell only the ones you trust. But how do you even know if you trust a person? It’s so difficult to tell. Knowing a person for a super long period of time will not judge whether you can trust the person or not. People change and it’s a superficial world, anything is possible.

Well, I know some people out there can’t keep secrets because they would feel so bottled up, or they need others’ views or yada-yada. Excuses 101! But hey, look what I found!
“A new study finds that keeping some things to yourself could be better for your health than confessing them”

How interesting what people can discover! Personally, I do not like secrets. People’s secrets that is; I mean I do have my own secrets but I prefer to keep it to myself. Why risk the chance of having my secrets getting exposed? Also, I don’t like other people’s secrets; maybe because I feel like I’m somehow indebted to them. I feel like I have a responsibility to keep their secrets safe. But if it’s told to me and I’m not supposed to tell then I guess I wouldn’t.

But what for others who don’t trust their own mouths? Be it for their own secrets or for others. “If you are not committed to keeping your secrets then save yourself the trouble and embarrassment of having it found out and don't try to keep it secret in the first place.”

Keeping a secret or respecting others’ secrets is a virtue relating to that of sensitivity and self-discipline. And if someone were to tell you another person’s secret, what does that tell you of that person? He/she can’t be trusted and if you were to burden this person with your secrets as well, good luck and just hope that this person doesn’t go round telling your secrets to others.

Secrets: to tell or not to tell. You decide.

“Hearts are created as safes for keeping secrets. Intelligence is their lock; will-power is their key. No one can break into the safe and steal its valuables if the lock or key are not faulty.”



pink cupcakes and butterflies,


The Girl Next Door.





No comments: