Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Laughter

Laughter is an expression or appearance of merriment or amusement. Ever heard of the saying “laughter is the best medicine”? Well, to a very large extent it’s true.

Just a little bit more on laughter, it is a part of human behavior regulated by the brain. It helps us clarify our intentions in a social interaction and provides and emotional context in conversations. Laughter can also signify acceptance of one in a group and represent positive interactions. Laughter at times can be contagious and the laughter from one person itself can provoke laughter from another person. (Extremely true in my case!)

While surfing the net, I found out that laughter can trigger asthma attacks. Which reminded me of one time in school; I had a friend who was having an asthma attack. The teacher then instructed me and another student to help her to the sick bay. Even though the sick bay was like only 2-3 storey’s below our class, I think to my “helpless asthmatic” friend, it seemed like forever. Why? It was due to my presence. Whilst helping her down to the sick bay, I couldn’t help but get tickled by the sight of her gasping for air. Some might say that I’m evil but I couldn’t help it (explains why my mother thins I should go for laughter management courses). Already having not enough air, my helpless friend looked almost like she was having spasms as she tried to gasp for air and laugh at the same time. I was then told to shut it by the other classmate and that if I were to continue, my friend would die.

In the end, we made it to the sickbay. – for those for were curious as to whether my friend is still alive.

Laughter is beneficial in so many ways. So much so there are laughter therapeutic course out there for people who are feeling stressed or who have trouble laughing (which is quite sad). I remembered I made a friend laugh so much before that he made this comment “For as long as I’ve known you (which was about 6 months), I’ve laughed more than my entire secondary school life”, I didn’t know whether to feel complimented or to feel sad for him. People who don’t laugh are deprived. And you may give excuses like “what’s so funny?” or “life sucks” or whatever negativity you can get out so as to prevent you from releasing the laughter in you. But deep deep down inside the corner of your fist-sized heart, there’s some laughter that wants to come out. So, let it free!

Laughter can help us in so many ways. And the best time to use laughter is in times of tension. Let’s say someone is making fun of you and inside you feel so demoralized. The best thing is to laugh it off and agree with the person! You will so much better after that and you automatically disempower your “enemy”.

Having a sense of humor can help us accept the inevitable (things we can’t change), rise to any challenge, handle the unexpected with ease and come out of any difficulty smiling. If you haven’t before, are you already beginning to see why laughter is so essential?

Came across this saying which was rather interesting, “The most wasted day is that in which we have not laughed”; which got me thinking and made me come to a realization that there is almost not one day which I have not laughed at all.

However, too much laughter may lead to people thinking that one is not a serious person at all. I’m not asking you to indulge in excessive laughter. Everything in life needs balance.

I’ll end of with a video probably one which most of you have seen. But I’ll still put it up anyhow. It never fails to make me laugh. Peace and blue cheese people!



P/S forget to add, sometims when one is laughing, they will fart. Recently, a friend told me that a friend of hers was watching The Simpsons in the cinema. Then there was this guy who was laughing so hard, he suddenly let out a loud fart. Can you imagine? HAHAHAHA *prroooooooot*



No comments: