Sunday, August 12, 2007

Beauty & Reflections


What defines beauty? Well, if you were to search the dictionary, it would come up with meanings that mostly revolve around “especially pleasing to look at, physical attractiveness etc.” If you realized, it just has to do with outward appearances and nothing else. If that is true, who can then explain the phrase “beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”?


A person can look so beautiful and perfect but on the inside, her/his heart is as black as coal. Would that person be a beauty then? Yes, no, maybe. I really don’t know. What if a persons’ beauty is fake? Meaning they just have to credit the plastic surgeon for their good looks. Is that beauty then?


People who judges others based on their looks are way too superficial for my liking. Okay, I have to admit I’m a tee-wee bit guilty of ever doing that but for that, I learnt a painful lesson.


If a person was so miserable on the inside, whereby there is so much grieve and hate inside his/her heart, I believe that it would reflect on their faces. They would not look happy at all. I used to have a friend who was rather pretty and we used to claim how she looked like a famous actress. Her high cheek bones, slender figure, long legs etc etc. everything a girl would want. Then once, we got into a quarrel over some petty matters and it got quite serious to the extent whereby we had a confrontation. During the confrontation, the “devil” in my pretty friend came out and I realized that her beauty totally disappeared. She didn’t appear pretty to me at that point in time. She just had this evil and grievance-filled look on her face. Now, where did the beauty that I once to admire and see disappear to? You tell me…


Now, I’m not saying that all pretty girls are like that. That was just an example. Personally, and however ironic it sounds, I am overly conscious on the way I look and the way people look at me. Due to that, I make sure that I look presentable everytime I walk out of the house. This led to a story which was told to me by a very close friend. Here goes…


There was once a girl, let’s name her X. X was from a prestigious girls school in Singapore. In school, she was part of the popular group and was rather well-known. To keep up with their so-called “high status”, she and her friends made sure that everytime they went out, they were decked in the latest fashion be it in clothes, bags or accessories. Besides that, they would also “cover” their faces with layers of make-up and what not. Maybe it was to cover up their “flaws” if they had any. Halfway through this point, I thought to myself “are they happy? Do they ever get tired of always wanting to look perfect (if they even did…)?” So that was like years ago. Recently, my friend bumped into this has-been queen bee in church and was shocked to see X decked in a casual t-shirt, jeans and can you believe it, NO MAKE UP! My friend even commented that X looked even better than her previous “perfect” look. X just had this glow in her whom my friend had never ever seen before and so to speak, X felt happier than ever.
Before you all get it wrong, no I’m not saying that in order to look good, you MUST attend church and become a Christian or catholic or blah blah blah. My point is beauty comes from WITHIN. All the external factors might help you do a little touching up but that’s about it. One has to love herself/himself from within and have the belief that you are beautiful inside out in order to look good and even feel good about the way you look.


Let’s see now, what defines beauty then? Hmmmm, I think it lies in our heart and soul. When we are able to forgive and forget, we feel happier. When we have the patience and not snap at people so easily, we’ll feel good about ourselves and our surroundings. When we speak only the good things of others and in return have good things spoken unto us, what else can we ask for? Every single thing is inter-dependent. And when we have achieved a happy body, mind and soul, we will feel beautiful inside and outside.


The issue on girls wanting to be Nicole Richie skinny; do I even have to talk about it already?


The next time you look into the mirror, what do you want to see? No one can choose or decide for you because it lies in your own hands.

Let me end with a poem…

If a girl was fat, does it mean she’s bad?
If she was thin, will other girls be green?

If a boy’s not cool, will he be labeled a fool?
If he is a nerd, must he be hurt?

If the sky’s not blue, humans won’t have a clue;
And if the sea’s not green, we won’t have shark’s fin.

When people are poor, must they suffer?
When people are rich, they think life’s a bitch.

If all sicknesses could cure, would it be a world more pure?
If there was no pain, what would we gain?

If everyone was happy, what would this world be?
If life was perfect, what would be the effect?

Imperfected world, aren’t you glad you’re here?







Get this widget | Share | Track details

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.If being physically attractive is one's definition of beauty, then i feel sad for them. As it reflects back upon themselves. Shallow and superficial.